On August 19, humanitarian relief workers from all across the world are recognized on World Humanitarian Day. This day, which was established by the UN in 2009, honors the day of the attack on the UN offices in Iraq. 22 individuals died, including the High Commissioner for Human Rights of the UN. People in need all across the world receive life-saving support from humanitarian aid professionals. Particularly at risk are workers who reside in conflict zones or communities that have recently suffered natural disasters. Read on to find out more about the day and how you can participate because anyone and everyone can be a humanitarian.
The day honors the thousands of humanitarian workers who lost their lives or were hurt while performing their duties. Did you know that 235 million people in 26 nations needed humanitarian aid at one point in 2021? Today is a day to recognize all the employees who continue to serve individuals in need by giving them assistance and protection. People celebrated this festival once with the theme “Human Race.” Although it is a day of remembrance, this holiday may also be thrilling and enjoyable!
Background of the World Humanitarian Day
The day set aside to honor those who devote their life to serving the needs of others is known as World Humanitarian Day. It is a day to commemorate the efforts of relief workers who risk their lives to assist impacted people during times of global disaster and serves as a reminder that these are the people who greatly simplify and secure our way of life.
The United Nations General Assembly established the holiday in honor of the 22 U.N. humanitarian workers who died in the 2003 bombing of the UN office in Baghdad, including Sérgio Vieira de Mello. Sérgio was born and raised in Brazil and has dedicated the last three decades to helping those who have been affected by armed conflict by providing them with relief and making sure that the world is aware of their predicament. He also put forth a lot of effort to put together the document for the declaration of World Humanitarian Day.
Sérgio’s campaign placed a strong emphasis on raising awareness. He did his best to ensure that people living in First World nations and other peaceful regions would acquire a new perspective on war-torn regions, demonstrating that there is more to war-torn regions than just political conflict and the killing of combatants. Sérgio attempted to humanize wars in certain ways by emphasizing the lives of defenseless people who battled to exist while being drawn into battles they had no desire to take part.
Following this unfortunate event, the Sérgio Vieira Mello Foundation and the de Mello family collaborated closely with the senators of France, Switzerland, Japan, and Brazil at the Geneva and New York tables to guide the proposal to devote a unique day through the General Assembly. The inaugural World Humanitarian Day was formally established in 2009 by the United Nations General Assembly.
It celebrates the valiant humanitarian aid workers like Sérgio who selflessly labor every day to improve the globe for the poor and those whose homes and way of life are endangered by violence. At least 483 members of the relief workforce were abducted, attacked, or killed in 2019, and the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020 did not make matters any better. World Humanitarian Day is observed by the UN every year on a specific theme.
The goal of the subject is to improve and create awareness for the safety of humanitarian workers as well as for the survival, well-being, and dignity of people affected by disasters. It brings together all the stakeholders in the humanitarian ecosystem. The Human Race was the theme of one World Humanitarian Day celebration. The subject was to draw attention to the urgent problems caused by the urgency of global climate change. Additionally, it brought attention to the urgent effects of the climate emergency on the world’s most vulnerable citizens and gathered funds for their welfare.
Significance of the World Humanitarian Day 2023
The day serves as a reminder of the sacrifices made by people for causes and needs related to humanitarianism. The purpose of the day this year is to highlight the selfless work of the tens of thousands of volunteers who provide people in need with rapid medical assistance, food, shelter, and security.
Bringing attention to the necessity of global cooperation on humanitarian concerns is a major component of World Humanitarian Day. Humanitarian aid workers may be sent to assist individuals in need abroad or they may be assisting citizens in their own nations. International cooperation is crucial to ensuring the security of individuals who provide humanitarian relief while allowing them to assist the suffering.
World Humanitarian Day 2023 Messages
- “World Humanitarian Day is a reminder to all of us that the onus of saving the goodness of this world lies on all of our shoulders”…. Warm wishes on this special day.
- “Never miss a chance to do good”…. Because it is the act of goodness that is needed to save this world”… Happy World Humanitarian Day to you my dear.
- “There is one thing that is going to save this world and that is love”….. On World Humanitarian Day, let us save this world by spreading love.
- “Let us thank all those who work for humanitarian causes”…. Let us thank them for their services and concern… Wishing you a very Happy World Humanitarian Day.
- “No matter how bad things in this world get but with our good deeds, we can always bring this war to an end”…. Warm wishes on World Humanitarian Day to you.
- “If we want to bring the change then we need to act on bringing this change”…. On the occasion of World Humanitarian Day, let us work together to make this world a better place to live.
- “We live in this world and therefore, we must work to make this a beautiful place therefore, World Humanitarian Day is not about feeding hundreds of people but it is about each one of us feeding just one person to make this life worthy and to make this world more beautiful.
- “If each one of us will do our little bit to spread love and happiness in this world then it will not take very long to make this world a happier place”… Happy World Humanitarian Day.
- “We must do good deeds”… Wishing you a very Happy World Humanitarian Day.
World Humanitarian Day 2023 Theme
- World Humanitarian Day’s 2022 theme is “It Takes a Village.” There are people who assist those in need whenever and wherever they are.
- They come together to alleviate suffering and bring hope, starting with the affected individuals themselves who are always the first to react when a calamity strikes.
- Because, as the proverb says, helping those in need requires a village.
World Humanitarian Day 2023 quotes
- “Simply do tiny things with a lot of love; don’t seek the huge things. Our affection must be greater the smaller the thing. Gandhi, Mahatma
- “Feed just one if you can’t feed a hundred.” Mama Teresa
- Making the world a better place for everyone who lives in it is in your control. – Nelson Mandela
- Being on the side of the suffering is an honor. (Elizabeth Fry)